With your generosity and support, we exceeded our annual goal!
We have SO many dreams and plans to enhance the guest experience in 2017 with this annual funding, including essential enhancements to the Lodge, cabins, and bunkhouses, as well as improvements to Ring Road and Dining Hall roof repairs. Our staff and volunteers are eager to get the work done by the time our spring guests and summer campers arrive. Your support–as donor, program participant, or volunteer–is essential to making these improvements possible for all of our guests and campers to experience throughout the year.
Thank you for your generosity and support of this special place we call The Mountain!
Make your tax-deductible gift today online at:
Or by mail to: The Mountain Retreat & Learning Center, P.O. Box 1299, Highlands, NC 28741
Enriching lives. Creating Community. Celebrating nature.
This is the magic that occurs when people come together at The Mountain. This is a special place where children, youth, and adults experience the joys of connecting with one another and the natural world. There are summer camps, leadership retreats, environmental programs, and outdoor activities galore to engage and inspire people of all ages.
It’s all made possible through the active participation of our guests and the generosity of Mountain supporters!
Here are just a few things that contributions to The Mountain made possible in 2016:
- Over $14,000 in camperships for 34 children and youth to attend MountainCamp
- Lighting around the roadways at the top
- LED Bulbs in the Dining Hall & full-spectrum lamp for the Great Room
- New mattresses for Lodge guest rooms
- Helped keep program costs affordable for participants
- New Corelle dishes and two tables for the Dining Hall
While The Mountain has turned the corner financially over the past few years, the challenge of sustainability continues. We are no longer in survival mode. We see the challenge to broaden and deepen the financial support of our members and supporters of The Mountain as a priority.
There is much more we want to do to enhance the guest and camper experience, which will be possible by receiving a greater number of tax-deductible gifts from our Mountain members and annual contributors. Nearly one-quarter of our operating budget funded is funded by annual contributions, which helps keep our program and retreat costs reasonable for all guests.
Thanks to the generosity of our donors this year that will be done in 2017:
- Replace windows in the Lodge Great Room
- Repair Library ceiling and lighting, and replace the flooring
- Renewal of Sally’s Deck on the Lodge
- Dining Hall floors refinished
With your gifts in the months to come, here are some things we hope to accomplish in 2017-2018:
- Enhance the guest experience in the cabins and bunk houses–floors, moisture seals, mattresses
- Restore the condition of the lake by repairing the dam
- Renovations to the Tree House
- Repair of Ring Road