ASCENDERs get a unique experience while at MountainCamp. As this is a Leadership Experience, applications are required. Campers should be 16 – 17 years old (rising 10th – 11th graders).
Starting in 1981, the ASCENDERs (All Summer Campers Exploring Nature’s Delights and Experiencing Recreation) program allows for older youth to give back to our camp and conference center through work study in each Mountain department, gaining experience in our larger community through volunteer work and enjoying nature’s splendor in the beautiful Highlands Plateau. By the end of 5 weeks each camper will have earn over 100 hours of work service while also enjoying time for relaxing by rivers, hiking to record peaks and rafting the thrilling Nantahala river.
Space is limited for ASCENDERS. Applications and references should be complete no later than February 28th to be considered. Applicants may be contacted for a phone interview. Program participants will be chosen no later than March 31st.
- Program: June 18 – July 24, 2017
- Application opens: November 1, 2016
- Application deadline: February 28, 2017
- Programs start on Sunday and ends on Saturday
- Campers must be at The Mountain by 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm on first day of the program
- Pick up campers at the end of program at 10:00 am and 12:00 pm
- $1000 per camper
- Standard Deposit (non-refundable): $200 per camper registration
- Full payment of all registration fees due: June 1, 2017
Savings and Discounts
- 10% discount for registering for multiple programs
- 5% family discount for second sibling registered
- 10% family discount for third sibling registered
- $50 referral credit for New Campers. Both campers will receive $50 credit when all registration is complete
- In our application system, choose the ASCENDER application period.
- All fields must be filled out to submit the application. Campers who are accepted into the program will be registered by The Mountain to set up payment and fill out required forms for attendance.