The Mountain trustees are a diverse group of people who reflect strong commitments to The Mountain over many years. Our current trustees have been involved in professional positions as teachers, accountants and CPA’s, mental health specialists, business executives, corporate trainer, pediatrician, grantwriters, design and development engineer, program evaluators and fundraisers. Their educational background includes: The University of North Carolina, MIT, The University of Texas Medical School, Purdue University, Emory University, Kent State, The University of Mississippi and others. Many trustees have held leadership positions in their congregations and UUA districts. Two are UU ministers and one is a former District Executive for the Unitarian Universalist Association.
The unifying characteristic of Mountain trustees is the strong commitment of each trustee to support and promote The Mountain as “a place…an experience…a way forward for all ages”. All trustees invest a great deal of their time, energy and finances in this important work. As a group, Mountain Trustees have participated in numerous workshops and events at The Mountain, volunteered thousands of hours in the work of The Mountain, attended MountainCamp, worked as a MountainCamp counselors, sent children to MountainCamp, invested in The Mountain as a founding life members, and had multiple generations of their families immersed in The Mountain. Being a trustee is not a passing interest, it is a deep commitment.
Each trustee works on one of the following board TEAMs – Total Engagement by All Members, with the Board Chair supporting the work of all four TEAMs.
Institutional Performance Team
- Annually work with staff to review ENDS statements, time lines, measures, and outcomes for The Mountain Retreat and Learning Center. Ensure The Mountain has a process for gathering input and feedback from all major stakeholders.
Planning and Finance Team
- Review budgets and other financial reports to support analysis of the fiscal strength of the Mountain. Monitor executive performance. With staff, engage in the strategic planning process.
Leadership Development Team
- Identify strong candidates for the Board of trustees. Support all trustees in understanding responsibilities and opportunities for total engagement. Maintain a system for continuously assessing and supporting Board performance and process, for the ultimate purpose of promoting the work of The Mountain
Institutional Advancement Team
- Identify sources of additional funding and promotion of The Mountain; understanding that a relatively small retreat center cannot maintain a program through registration fees alone. Work with staff on an annual development plan and coordinate Board’s involvement in Annual Giving Campaign and in any future capital campaigns.
- Board Chair
- Linda Sterner – Charlotte, NC. B.A. in Math from the University of North Florida; Retired SVP and IT Executive in Financial Services industry. Former Trustee Thomas Jefferson District of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- Leadership Development Team
- Peter Kandis – Hilton Head, SC. Member of the Commission On Appraisal and the Religious Education Credentialing Committee of the UUA; Member of the Elder Council of the UUA Southern Region; Former Trustee & VP Southeast District of the UUA; Former Dean of SUULE; national board certified teacher.
- Nathalie Bigord – Lawrenceville, GA.
- Gail Sphar – Franklin, TN. Healthy Congregation Consultant for Southern Region; Former President Mid-South District. Retired health care executive; M.S. biology; MBA.
- Institutional Advancement Team
- Dave Hudson – Team Leader. Roswell, GA. M.A.T. (Masters of Arts in Teaching), University of New Hampshire; B.A. Bowdoin College; Retired from 30-year sales/sales management career in the paper industry. Lay leader, UU Metro Atlanta North congregation, Roswell, GA.
- Jay Kiskel – Roswell, GA. Bachelor’s Applied Mathematics, Rutgers – State University of New Jersey. Additional studies Universiti Sains Malaysia. Former Board of Trustees Northwest UU Congregation, former Board of Trustees Mid-South District. Completed 35 year IT career; now retired
- Rev. Julie Kain – Pensacola, FL.
- Institutional Performance Team
- Erin Thompson – Team Leader. Athens, GA. BS University of Georgia. Currently Quality Assurance Supervisor with an automotive manufacturing company.
- Kit Hamblen, P.E. – Atlanta, GA. M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois; B.S. in Environmental Sciences, University of West Florida. Currently an active engineer in water resources and ecosystem restoration.
- Kathleen Anderson, DLRE – Landrum, SC. B.A. in English, Furman University; EdS in Childhood Education/Reading, and Child/Family Counseling, University of South Carolina. Currently serves as Director of Lifespan Religious Education at the Greenville UU Fellowship.
- Planning and Finance Team
- Cathean Utzig – Team Leader. Charlotte, NC. Masters of Tax from Georgia State University; B.S. in Math and Psychology from Vanderbilt University; CPA.
- Rob Marcy – Board Financial Advisor. Charlotte, NC. B.S. in Math from University. Currently accountant in the Financial Services industry.
- Rev. Sherman Logan – Sandston, VA. B.A. in Sociology from University of Virginia; M. Div. from Samuel DeWitt Proctor School of Theology at Virginia Union University. Currently employed as Business Manager for The First UU Church of Richmond.
- Recording Secretary
- Chris Breivogel – Fuquay-Varina, NC. B.S. in Biochemistry, UNC-Chapel Hill; PhD from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Pharmacology. Former Board member and President of Southern Unitarian Universalist Summer Institute. Currently President – Elect of the Board of the UU Fellowship of Raleigh.