The Mountain trustees are a diverse group of people who reflect strong commitments to The Mountain over many years. Our current trustees have been involved in professional positions as teachers, accountants and CPA’s, mental health specialists, business executives, corporate trainer, grantwriter, design and development engineer, program evaluator and fundraisers. Many trustees have held leadership positions in their congregations and UUA districts. One trustee is a UU minister and another is a DLRE.
The unifying characteristic of Mountain trustees is the strong commitment of each trustee to support and promote The Mountain. All trustees invest a great deal of their time, energy and finances in this important work. As a group, Mountain Trustees have participated in numerous workshops and events at The Mountain, volunteered thousands of hours in the work of The Mountain, attended MountainCamp, worked as a MountainCamp counselors, sent children to MountainCamp, invested in The Mountain as a founding life members, and had multiple generations of their families immersed in The Mountain. Being a trustee is not a passing interest, it is a deep commitment.
- Board Chair
- Linda Sterner – Charlotte, NC. B.A. in Math from the University of North Florida; Retired SVP and IT Executive in Financial Services industry. Former Trustee Thomas Jefferson District of the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- Leadership Development Team
- Peter Kandis – Hilton Head, SC. Member of the Commission On Appraisal and the Religious Education Credentialing Committee of the UUA; Member of the Elder Council of the UUA Southern Region; Former Trustee & VP Southeast District of the UUA; Former Dean of SUULE; national board certified teacher.
- Nathalie Bigord – Lawrenceville, GA. Served on the church Board of Trustees, chaired several committees, and has been an active member of the Social Justice Committee and Welcoming Congregation Task Force. Also served as a member of the Mid-South District Board, she has been a small group facilitator at SUULE (Southern UU Leadership Experience), is currently serving on the Southern Region Elders Development Team.
- Gail Sphar – Franklin, TN. Healthy Congregation Consultant for Southern Region; Former President Mid-South District. Retired health care executive; M.S. biology; MBA.
- Institutional Advancement Team
- Dave Hudson – Team Leader. Roswell, GA. M.A.T. (Masters of Arts in Teaching), University of New Hampshire; B.A. Bowdoin College; Retired from 30-year sales/sales management career in the paper industry. Lay leader, UU Metro Atlanta North congregation, Roswell, GA.
- Jay Kiskel – Roswell, GA. Bachelor’s Applied Mathematics, Rutgers – State University of New Jersey. Additional studies Universiti Sains Malaysia. Former Board of Trustees Northwest UU Congregation, former Board of Trustees Mid-South District. Completed 35 year IT career; now retired.
- Institutional Performance Team
- Erin Thompson – Team Leader. Athens, GA. BS University of Georgia. Currently Quality Assurance Supervisor with an automotive manufacturing company.
- Kit Hamblen, P.E. – Atlanta, GA. M.S. in Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Illinois; B.S. in Environmental Sciences, University of West Florida. Currently an active engineer in water resources and ecosystem restoration.
- Kathleen Anderson, DLRE – Landrum, SC. B.A. in English, Furman University; EdS in Childhood Education/Reading, and Child/Family Counseling, University of South Carolina. Currently serves as Director of Lifespan Religious Education at the Greenville UU Fellowship.
- Planning and Finance Team
- Cathean Utzig – Team Leader & Corporate Secretary. Charlotte, NC. Masters of Tax from Georgia State University; B.S. in Math and Psychology from Vanderbilt University; CPA.
- Rob Marcy – Board Financial Advisor. Charlotte, NC. B.S. in Math from University. Currently accountant in the Financial Services industry.
- Rev. Julie Kain – Pensacola, FL. Parish minister at the UU Church of Pensacola, Florida since 2006. Graduate of Starr King School for the Ministry; Staff of Leadership School at The Mountain; served on the Mid-South District Board; held many positions of the leadership in social justice organizations in the Pensacola area; and completed a doctorate of ministry with a focus on racial justice education in 2015.
- Kerry Keys – Washington, DC. A lifelong UU; served on staff for 3 UU camps (SUUSI, SWIM and The Mountain); former camper and councelor at TM; Youth Programs Director at TM for 3 years; and on SWIM Board of Trustees from 2011-13. MA in Accounting; currently works as a financial management advisor PricewaterhouseCoopers serving public sector clients.
- Recording Secretary
- Chris Breivogel – Fuquay-Varina, NC. B.S. in Biochemistry, UNC-Chapel Hill; PhD from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Pharmacology. Former Board member and President of Southern Unitarian Universalist Summer Institute. Currently President – Elect of the Board of the UU Fellowship of Raleigh.
Standing Agenda Items for Board Meetings
Every Regular Meeting:
- Approve minutes of previous meeting
- Mountain Operations and Finance Report
- Team Reports
- Mountain Matters content suggestions
First Meeting of Board following Elections (After Annual Meeting, May):
- Approve Board Teams, Chair, Corporate Secretary, and Recording Secretary
- Approval of resolutions for bank & investment account signatories (Chair and Corporate Secretary)
- Review and Affirm Covenant of Community Standards and Behaviors
- Team Meetings to determine goals for coming year (conducted after Board meeting)
Second Meeting (August):
- New Trustee Orientation (Leadership Development Team)
- Team Meeting: Report on Goals and Action Plans
- Nominations Committee Appointments
- Annual Review of Board/Executive Relations Policies (Planning and Finance)
- Annual Review of Executive Limitations Policies (Planning and Finance)
Third Meeting (November):
- Need for Audit/Review (Financial Advisor/Director)
- Trustee Recruitment (Leadership Development Team)
- Annual Review of Succession Plan and Plan for Immediate Departure of Exec Director (Planning and Finance Team)
- Annual Development Plan for Coming Year
- Approve Budget for New Year (Planning and Finance Team/Director)
Fourth Meeting (February):
- Annual Executive Director Performance Evaluation and Salary Review (Planning and Finance)
- Endowment Board Appointment (Planning and Finance)
- Annual Review of Mountain Vision/Mission/Values Policies (Institutional Performance)
- Trustee Nominations and Team Assignments (Leadership Development)
- Annual Mountain Membership Meeting Agenda, including Annual Report
Fifth Meeting (Before Annual Meeting, May):
- Annual Board Self-Evaluation
- Review/Approve Annual Audit Report (Financial Advisor, Planning and Finance, Chair)
** Note: The Recording Secretary will maintain the master file of all policies and will update them as appropriate.